TACT Hellas(Training and Consultation Today in Hellas) is a non-profit organization which advocates mental health and supports individuals with disabilities. Established in Athens in 1999 as an extension of TACT UK, TACT HELLAS began operating as an independent organization in September 2005.
In 2006, TACT Hellas undertook the creation and management of a group home in Ioannina Greece for fifteen people with mental illness and disabilities. Thus the “New Beginning” home was born. This home became a safe haven which offered security and support to individuals suffering from mental illness and physical disabilities by encouraging social integration and community participation. To this day, the home continues to operate successfully, raising public and social awareness through various programs, whenever funding allows.
In the summer of 2011, TACT Hellas became the official representative for BEST BUDDIES in Greece. BEST BUDDIES is a non-profit organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
We at TACT Hellas aim to empower individuals and advocate mental health. By cultivating healthy, positive, and creative environments, we aspire to promote physical and mental well-being for all people, without discrimination.
- Quality of life: We encourage people to live a life of real quality and substance, where they maximize their potential in acknowledgment of their right to pursue satisfaction in daily life.
- Independence: We support autonomy and the freedom to make choices, both by creating job opportunities and by supporting and participating actively in social integration.
- Respect: We respect diversity and explore each individual’s talents and skills in a healthy environment where initiative and creative expression are encouraged.
- Empowerment: We offer direct individual support for those in need, and enable them to create of a life journey guided by the phrase: “I can do”.
Best Buddies’ mission
Best Buddies is a nonprofit organization (www.bestbuddies.org) dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
By matching citizens, students and people with IDD in one on one friendships, we impact many people’s lives through our mission of friendship. Not only does Best Buddies provide the gift of friendship to people with IDD, but we also educate our community about the importance of social acceptance and in turn, shape the future in a positive way.
How it started and how it grows
Best Buddies was created in 1989, when Founder Anthony Kennedy Shriver observed the lack of opportunity for people with IDD to socialize with their peers without IDD. He recognized the power of one-to-one friendship to develop their self-esteem, improve their outlook on life, and their integration in society. A college student himself, Shriver knew that his peers had the energy and commitment to positively transform their communities. His inspiration to bring both groups together created the Best Buddies concept.
Best Buddies is a vibrant, international organization. Best Buddies enhances persons’ with IDD lives and helps them secure rewarding jobs, live on their own and become inspirational leaders for their peers.
What we offer persons with IDD:
• A real and supportive friendship
• Improved self-esteem
• Development of social skills through participation in interpersonal and team activities.
• Love, affection and respect
What we offer to volunteers:
• Contact with the IDD community in Greece
• Introduction with Best Buddies’ Global movement
• Supervised practical experience while supporting persons with IDD
• Certificate of participation in the Best Buddies Greece program
All Best Buddies’ services are provided free of charge for people with IDD.
Do you work for TACT HELLAS? Become an administrator