Oakland Catholic Worker (Obrero Católico de Oakland)
Since 1986 the Oakland Catholic Worker has primarily served the local Spanish-speaking Latin American immigrant community and our neighbors in East Oakland and beyond. Our services include:
- Providing a transitional shelter and accompaniment project,
- Offering a hot meal program (currently 2 days a week),
- Providing a neighborhood food distribution with assistance from the Alameda County Community Food Bank for 200-300 families each Thursday;
- Offering English as a Second Language program (4 mornings and 4 evenings a week, when classes are in session)
- Coordinate various Latin American religious and cultural events
- Organize an annual Christmas gift and stocking program for needy families;
- Participate in a broader coalition of East Bay and Bay Area groups advocating for immigrant-rights and related programs.
Our mission is:
- Living simply and communally in a community of multicultural volunteers and guests.
- Helping those most in need in our community
- Supporting an extended community in keeping itself organized and healthy
- Changing the unjust structures of our society