Atlanta Women for Equality, Inc.
AWE is a new 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our mission is to provide free legal advocacy for women and girls facing sex discrimination in the workplace or educational environment, to protect and expand economic and educational opportunities for women and girls, and to help our community shape our workplaces and schools according to true standards of equal treatment.
Currently, our activities include:
- Sex Discrimination Hotline: We support Helpline callers by providing legal advice about the caller's rights and legal remedies, referrals for community resources to address non-legal needs, and assistance finding private attorneys for long-term representation.
- Amicus curiae briefs: We prepare and sign onto "friend of the court" briefs supporting plaintiffs in cases that address cutting-edge legal issues in the fight for equality.
- Public policy advocacy: As a nonpartisan nonprofit, we actively engage in public discourse to fight sex discrimination by, for example, writing letters to public officials protesting sexual harassment, notifying the press about important legal issues, and speaking to a broad range of audiences.
- Law student internship program: We teach our interns how to use the law to fight sex discrimination and to serve the public as attorneys.
Once we reach full service capacity, our activities will also include:
- In fall 2015, providing education sessions for women on college and high school campuses to inform them of their campus's sexual harassment policy and process, and remedies and legal rights in cases of sexual harassment or rape.
- Providing long-term legal representation to low-income women and girls in complaints of discrimination in the workplace or educational environment.
- Providing education sessions for women workers to inform them of their legal rights in the workplace.
- Offering Continuing Legal Education (CLE) sessions on sex discrimination law for attorneys.
- Offering publicly available training manuals, informational materials, and analytic reports concerning the law, statistics, and public policy issues.