- New York
110 William Street
Improving Education, Creating a Better World
In 1990, a small, but dedicated group of teachers in Massachusetts came together to improve an education system that frequently allowed its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students to be bullied, discriminated against and/or fall through the cracks.
Over 25 years later, that small group has grown into the leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for all students. Today, we’re known as GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network.
We face a pervasive problem with a set of new challenges. 8 out of 10 LGBT students are still harassed at school each year because of who they are.
We are working to change that.
At GLSEN, we want every student, in every school, to be valued and treated with respect, regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We believe that all students deserve a safe and affirming school environment where they can learn and grow.
We accomplish our goals by working in hallways across the country -- from Congress and the Department of Education to schools and district offices in your community -- to improve school climate and champion LGBT issues in K-12 education.
- We conduct extensive and original research to inform our evidence-based solutions for K-12 education.
- We author developmentally appropriate resources for educators to use throughout their school community.
- We partner with decision makers to ensure that comprehensive and inclusive safe schools policies are considered, passed and implemented.
- We partner with dozens of national education organizations to leverage our shared expertise into creating great schools and better opportunities for every student.
- We empower students to affect change by supporting student-led efforts to positively impact their own schools and local communities.
Every day GLSEN works to ensure that LGBT students are able to learn and grow in a school environment free from bullying and harassment. Join us as we transform our nation’s K-12 schools.
Database Associate (Job)
Youth Programs Manager (Job)
Northeast Regional Field Intern (Internship)
Do you work for GLSEN? Become an administrator