Boys & Girls Clubs in Indian Country AmeriCorps VISTA Project
Boys & Girls Clubs of America's (BGCA) mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens. Boys & Girls Clubs in Indian Country (BGCIC) provides a place where Native youth can celebrate their culture and community, enjoy healthy fun with peers & learn new skills and self-confidence under the guidance of responsible adults.
BGCIC operates under BGCA's Formula for Impact model whose priority outcomes are achieved through the implementation of core program areas (which go hand-in-hand with the CNCS goals of healthy futures & education): Academic Success, Good Character and Citizenship, and Healthy Lifestyles.
VISTAs build the organizational capacity for Boys & Girls Clubs in Native communities by implementing projects in the following areas:
- Internal Operations and Management: position Clubs to have maximum impact and aid youth to succeed in adulthood.
- Program Development and Impact: improve Clubs' program delivery.
- Resource Development: ensure sustainability of local Clubs through fund seeking tasks.
- Strategic Relationships: build strategic relationships in the community to ensure sustainability.
- Sustainability: ensure sustainability of local Clubs organization through tasks to further embed the Club in the community.
The VISTA Leader works closely with the VISTA Project Manager, VISTA Project Director and FirstPic, Inc. to coordinate the BGCIC VISTA project. They will coordinate with the VISTA team to market the BGCIC VISTA project and develop project related trainings for members at more than five site locations. This includes preparing VISTAs' in-service training, mentoring & identifying new funding sources. He/she will also serve as a mentor to VISTA members and provide day-to-day support as well as provide resources that strengthen the capacity of VISTAs.