Python Software Foundation
- Remote - No physical location
9450 SW Gemini Dr. # 90772, Beaverton, OR 97008 (official mailing address)
Remote - No physical location
- Produces the core Python distribution, made available to the public free of charge. This includes the Python language itself, its standard libraries and documentation, installers, source code, educational materials, and assorted tools and applications.
- Establishes PSF licenses, ensuring the rights of the public to freely obtain, use, redistribute, and modify intellectual property held by the PSF.
- Works with the Open Source Initiative to ensure that PSF licenses conform to the Open Source Definition.
- Holds Python's intellectual property rights for releases 2.1 and following.
- Seeks to obtain the intellectual property rights for Python releases prior to 2.1, for relicensing under the PSF Python license, to relieve the legal burden on Python's users. The PSF may also seek rights to other Python-related software for relicensing under a PSF license.
- Protects the Python name, and the names, service marks and trademarks associated with all other intellectual property held by the PSF.
- Raises funds to support PSF programs and services. The regulations for public charity funding are complex. Some consequences are that the vast bulk of funding must come from private contributions (including sponsoring memberships) and public grants, must come from a broad base, and that no single private donor can supply a substantial percentage of the PSF's total funding. Additional revenue may be pursued in ways consistent with then-current rules for public charities and with Python's standing as an open source project. For example, the PSF may offer to sell conference proceedings, special Python distributions, or merchandise with distinctive insignia.
- Publicizes, promotes the adoption of, and facilitates the ongoing development of Python-related technology and educational resources. This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining a public web site, planning Python conferences, and offering grants to Python-related open source projects.
- Encourages and facilitates Python-related research in the public interest.
Do you work for Python Software Foundation? Become an administrator