Philadelphia Works, Inc.
Philadelphia Works, Inc. connects businesses to a skilled workforce and creates a system of services that helps individuals develop the skills needed to thrive in the workplace. It was created on July 1, 2012 by merging the Philadelphia Workforce Investment Board and the Philadelphia Workforce Development Corporation to streamline the workforce development system in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia Works builds skills for a thriving workforce by:
- Funding the delivery of career guidance, training and placement services through high-performing one-stop centers.
- Connecting employers of all kinds with resources to meet current and future workforce needs.
- Conducting research and sharing knowledge on employment and workforce trends.
- Creating effective “talent pipelines” that enable youth and adults to progress smoothly from career assessment through education and training and into good jobs.
- Seeking policy changes that improve how public dollars are used to meet the needs of job-seekers and employers .
- Supporting system-wide planning and performance tracking.
Philadelphia Works invests federal, state, city and privately-raised employment and training funds. These investments are designed to increase the capacity of the system to provide services for both unemployed and underemployed individuals and for the employers who need talent. The result will be improvements in the quality of life for individuals, and in the local economy.