North Chickamauga Creek Conservancy
The North Chickamauga Creek Conservancy (NCCC) is a citizen-created nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that provides a structured, dedicated framework for constructive, pro-active citizen involvement and support in conserving the significant natural, historic and cultural resources located within and near the 120 square mile North Chickamauga Creek watershed. The Conservancy's work is supported through a combination of grants from local and national foundations and contributions and volunteer services from supportive individuals, companies, and organizations. It pursues its initiatives through the work of its committees and also works in partnership with other organizations and governmental entities to accomplish common conservation goals.
Since its founding in 1993, NCCC has helped to conserve over 14,000 acres of land within and near the North Chickamauga Creek watershed. In this period, NCCC has helped to:
- Establish the first 2 miles of Greenway along the creek including TVA’s Big Ridge Small Wild Area and the City of Chattanooga’s Greenway Farm;
- Preserve the scenic North Chickamauga Creek Gorge – now a 7,000-acre State Natural Area, that protects 8 miles of the creek;
- Establish a trailhead for the Cumberland Trail State Scenic Trail within the Gorge and develop an upland trail system within the North Chickamauga Creek Gorge State Natural Area;
- Install and monitor 6 Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) passive treatment systems to help restore the 303(d) List impaired stretches of North Chickamauga Creek and its tributaries.
- Steward and restore ecologically significant habitats along North Chickamauga Creek; and Create opportunities for citizen involvement and education.
NCCC regularly works in partnership with other organizations and governmental entities to accomplish common conservation goals. These partners include TVA, TN Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC), the City of Chattanooga, the Trust for Public Land, Cumberland Trail State Park and others.
Do you work for North Chickamauga Creek Conservancy? Become an administrator