Community leaders had approached Rev. Laubacher one year earlier out of concern that health care services were not available to meet the needs of the thousands of residents who had settled on the Oxnard plains. The hospital opened as a six-room wooden structure on ten acres of land.
After only a few short years, St. John’s opened a 25-bed hospital in 1915. By 1952, the hospital had again outgrown its building, so a third hospital with 75 beds was opened to serve the post-war population. Finally, St. John’s opened in its current location with 265 beds in 1992.
In 1993, St. John’s Regional Medical Center merged with Pleasant Valley Hospital in Camarillo, together representing the largest acute-care health organization in Ventura County. The two hospitals joined Catholic Healthcare West in 1997. Catholic Healthcare West became Dignity Health in 2012.
Community leaders had approached Rev. Laubacher one year earlier out of concern that health care services were not…!-->