Womens Environment and Development Organization (WEDO)
- New York
Women's Environment and Development Organization (WEDO) is a global women’s advocacy organization for a just world that promotes and protects human rights, gender equality, and the integrity of the environment.
WEDO works towards two interlinked goals:
1) Women are empowered to claim their rights as decision-makers, advocates and leaders, especially on issues related to environment and sustainable development
2) Sustainable development policies, plans and practices are gender-responsive, environmentally and socially just, and effectively implemented.
To do this work, WEDO:
- Delivers training and capacity building to women leaders on environment and climate change issues;
- Supports grassroots women leaders at the frontlines of climate impacts to speak truth to power in global policy spaces;
- Showcases and amplifies just alternatives to the current fossil fuel economy;
- Builds power within diverse and fierce transnational feminist & environmental justice movement(s).