Comedy for Girls*
We are a newly forming organization working to launch a major comedy instruction and inspiration project for teen girls.**“Girls”=too small a word for the big and diverse group we seek. Our doors are open to anyone who even loosely identifies, feels like, or wants to perform as a girl.
We will train teen girls to
● tell a joke
● command a stage
● own their stories
● amplify their voices. Literally. With a microphone! Also metaphorically.
● pursue a dream
● change the face of comedy.
WHAT WILL WE DO?
We will coach teen girls in the art of comedy performance and writing. We will also open up career paths: to standup as well as TV writing, the comedy business, and more. Our high-level teaching and mentoring crew—representing diverse genders, styles, and backgrounds—plus our media partner(s) offering immediate and broad exposure, will enable girls to
● hone an authentic point of view and persona
● benefit from peer to peer coaching and support
● challenge cultural messages telling girls not to be loud and bawdy and in charge
● take and learn from constructive criticism
● apply those skills in their offstage lives
● break into—and diversify—the world of comedy.
WHY WILL THIS MATTER?
● We believe we need more women in comedy. We believe we need more diversity in comedy: more faces, more voices. We believe comedy will be better for it. We believe we’ll all be better for it.
● We widen the pipeline. We are building a new farm team for the comedy mainstream.
WHOM WILL WE SERVE?
● High-school age young folks who are, identify as, or want to perform as, girls.
● Young people along the spectrums of income, race and national identity, sexual orientation, gender, physical ability, and more. They all represent communities who have been marginalized in some way from mainstream comedy, not to mention reality.