Sunshine Community Health Center (SCHC), a federally qualified community health center, with integrated primary medical, behavioral health and dental care with offices in two locations – Willow and Talkeetna.
SCHC provides a full spectrum of high-quality, comprehensive, culturally competent, healthcare services. The Clinic promotes prevention and early intervention, thus keeping under-insured or uninsured individuals out of hospital emergency rooms. These services include:
- Medical Services – Family Health Care, Laboratory and X-Ray, Dispensary, DOT Medical Exams, Immunization, Sport Physicals, Eye Clinic and a Men’s Clinic
- Dental Services – Preventative care, initial pediatric “first visits,” and full mouth rehabilitation
- Behavioral Health – Confidential mental health and substance abuse treatment as well as traditional counseling services such as: Individual, couples, family, and group therapy.
SCHC Partners with other agencies to make the following additional services available and convenient:
- Mobile Mammography – Mammograms are performed in both Talkeetna and Willow throughout the year with the Providence Imaging mammogram-mobile.
- Physical Therapy – Available in both the Talkeetna and Willow clinics with Health Quest Therapy.
- Eye Care – Eye exams and frame selection are offered with Dr. Falconer once a month.
- Orthopedic Care – Services are offered once a quarter.
- Pediatric Care - Available through a partnership with Ptarmigan Pediatrics.
With 30 years of service in the Upper Susitna Valley, SCHC is a resource for the community with health education, community outreach, advocacy and support programs. In listening and responding to the specific needs of this community, unique programs have been developed, such as:
- Sunshine Transit – Inexpensive, reliable transportation for health care, wellness, education and employment in the Upper Susitna Valley. Current routes include the Daily Talkeetna Spur Road, Willow on-Demand Service and twice a week Talkeetna to Wasilla.
- Office Based Opioid Treatment - a program that combines the use of the medication, with outpatient behavioral health treatment to help patients transition from drug dependence to recovery.
- Positive Action - Youth advocacy and family support programs in schools that promote an intrinsic interest in learning and becoming a better person.
- Patient Advocacy – Help patients navigate the confusing healthcare system with education and assistance completing financial paperwork or applications including Medicaid, Medicare, Marketplace, TBI Grants, Heating Assistance and more.
- Case Management - Assist people in identifying their goals, needs, and resources. From that assessment together, whether an individual or a family, formulate a plan to meet those goals, find resources and facilitate connection with services.