Kodaikanal International School
'Over 100 years in global education.'
In 2001 Kodaikanal International School (KIS) celebrated 100 years in Christian international education.
KIS is located at 2133m in the peaceful Palani Hills of South India, a region known for its rugged beauty and cool temperate climate.
KIS combines an ambitious, challenging academic program and a rich range of extracurricular activities within a Christian values framework that draws on a variety of cultures and prepares students for global citizenship.
KIS has run a strong outdoor education program since 1987. This was supplemented in 1994 by the acquisition of a nearby wilderness campus at Poondi which provides a focus for environmental awareness programs.
International Baccalaureate (IB) and American curricula are offered to around 600 students in Preschool through grades 1-12, vertically coordinated in Elementary, Middle and High School programs.
KIS graduates consistently achieve higher results than world averages in IB and SAT examinations. 100% of KIS students who apply gain entry to colleges and universities worldwide. KIS High School Diploma is US accredited and also allows KIS graduates direct entry to Indian universities.
KIS entry is open to all qualified students at all grade levels and full boarding students are admitted from grade 4. KIS school year runs from mid July to end May and admissions are open throughout the year.
Facts of interest:
- Established 1901 as an American boarding school for the children of missionaries in South India
- Accredited in 1968 by the US Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools (Philadelphia)
- In 1976 KIS became the first IB school and first international school in India by adopting the International Baccalaureate Diploma program; the third school in Asia and one of only 10 schools world wide to trial the IB Diploma program
- In 1981 the KIS High School Diploma was recognized by the Association of Indian Universities, Delhi and today allows KIS graduates direct entry to Indian universities
- In 1994 KIS became the first school in India to have its own separate wilderness campus for outdoor and environmental education initiatives
- In December 2006 KIS gained authorization from the IBO to offer the Middle Years Program to grades 6-10
- KIS has now begun the process of obtaining PYP authorization
- KIS is a non denominational Christian school. Students and staff from over 30 countries share in a multicultural residential experience intentionally set within a community life based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and devoted to service in India and the rest of the world
- Today KIS is one of India's most prestigious academic independent schools