- guided by the Holy Spirit, love our neighbors as ourselves, advocating for peace and justice.
- go out and share our faith in Christ, inviting others to join us.
- be nurturers of the spirit and teachers of the Word.
- welcome and provide sanctuary to all.
The people of the First Congregational Church of Reading are part of a rich history of Congregationalism that began almost 400 years ago in New England. The church has evolved over the years and continues to evolve to meet the needs of the Reading community, while at the same time our members have an continuing commitment to our faith believing that:
- We covenant with God our Creator. Jesus Christ our Savior and Teacher and the Holy Spirit as our Guide, accepting the Holy Scriptures as the rule of our lives in faith and practice.
- We recognize both the duty and privilege of uniting in Christian community for fellowship, for spiritual life and worship and for the opportunity to serve the realm of God in the world.
- We will order our lives in public and private according to the spirit of Jesus Christ.
- We promise to submit to orderly administration of the church, to walk with its members in unconditional love, to be present, as far as possible, at its worship services, to contribute, as we may be able , to its stewardship and prosperity, and to witness for peace and justice around the world.
- We do this relying upon God as our Creator, Jesus Christ as our Savior and the Holy Spirit as our Helper.