Connecticut Oral Health Initiative
The Connecticut Oral Health Initiative (COHI) is a broad-based coalition working to advance our mission 'Oral Health for All' through advocacy and education. Our vision is that all Connecticut residents understand the importance of oral health and have access to oral health care.
COHI works with a variety of partners throughout Connecticut on behalf of underserved populations. We initiate, lead and participate in alliances that positively affect public policy and resulting programs to promote oral health. COHI :
- leads and collaborates in statewide advocacy and education to include oral health in health systems;
- ensures that oral health is included when general health is discussed;
- forges new and creative alliances among community organizations to promote oral health advocacy; and
- acts as a primary resource for information about access to oral health care.
Our current objectives are to ensure that:
- Public policy supports improving oral health;
- Comprehensive children's and adult's dental coverage is maintained under Medicaid;
- Oral health is integrated in health systems; and
- Health disparities are addressed.