385 Bel Marin Keys Blvd., Suite G
Position Title: Social Worker
Reports to: Executive Director
Project Avary Description:
Project Avary seeks to employ a full time Social Worker. Project Avary’s mission is to improve the lives of children with a parent in prison. Founded in 1999 Project Avary maintains an annual enrollment of approximately 100 Bay Area children and youth. Children enroll when they are ages 8, 9, or 10 and are encouraged to remain involved until age 18.
Programming is intended to help children develop an appreciation for a wide variety of experiences, acquire confidence and physical competencies, and develop a wide range of social and life skills for their transition to young adulthood. Programs includes school-year Adventure Day outings for children, overnight outdoor teen retreats, and a 2-week residential summer life skills learning camp. The Family Support program was launched in 2010 to provide caregivers with support and to connect children and their families to local community resources.
Program and Position Description:
Project Avary seeks to employ a Social Worker with experience in serving at-risk youth and their families. Candidates MUST HAVE a Masters in Social Work. This is a full time position of 37.5 hours per week that involves an average of two Saturday outings per month during the school year. Social Workers will help staff at least one monthly (evening) caregiver support group, will check in with children and their caregivers periodically, will case manage children in crises, and will play a key support role during the annual 2-week, residential summer life skills camp in Mendocino County. Compensatory time off is provided.
The Social Worker will work in concert with a second Social Worker to assist families who live throughout the Bay Area. Project Avary's administrative office is located in Novato. The Social Workers will have the latitude to work from home on those days that significant time is spent in the field working directly with children, caregivers, and other providers. Candidates from the East Bay and San Francisco are encouraged to apply.
Social Worker Responsibilities:
- Connect children and their families to appropriate community social and health services
- Connect children and teens to complementary youth development activities in their neighborhoods
- Check in with families over the phone, in the community, and in the home
- Accompany and advocate on behalf of children and caregivers during school IEP hearings and other community proceedings
- Co-staff parent support groups
- Counsel selected children and caregivers
- Conduct assessments of new children and developing counseling strategies and follow-up action plans
- Connect teens to employment and summer externships and conduct college visits
Specific Responsibilities for Summer Camp Include:
- Help plan and lead the all-staff summer camp training and scheduling
- Oversee children’s evaluations and advise staff in counseling strategies
- Connect children and their families to community resources in their neighborhoods
- Supervise and provide feedback to teen leaders employed by Project Avary
- Provide crisis intervention and low intensity counseling to selected children
Complete Position Qualifications:
Candidates MUST have a Masters in Social Work. Non-MSWs need not apply. Ideally, candidates will have two years experience in support of at-risk children and families. The Social Worker MUST be able to locate and utilize community resources. This is not a therapeutic counseling position. Familiarity with conflict resolution and conflict mediation methodologies, preferably non-violent communications is essential. The candidate should be familiar with all protective services reporting procedures. Preference will be given to candidates with Spanish-language skills. Must own vehicle with valid California Drivers License and car insurance and must continue to own a vehicle during his/her tenure with Project Avary. Must have own computer with on-line capacity. Knowledge of Salesforce, Excel and Microsoft word.
- Relate well with diverse youth population ages 8-18 years old
- Ability to establish trusting relationships with children and caregivers
- Speak Spanish
- Excellent conflict resolution skills and experience mediating groups
- Passionate about youth empowerment and leadership
- Responsible and self-motivated
- Acquainted with activities, exercises and games that build skills and/or encourage discussion
- Work well with others as part of a team
- Knowledge of Salesforce, Excel, and Microsoft word
Send Resume & Cover letter to email@example.com
Salary and Benefits
Social Workers enjoy a competitive wage. Project Avary will cover all or a portion of health insurance costs. Project Avary closes every year for one week following summer camp and one week between Xmas and New Years as paid time off. In addition, the Social Worker will have one week paid vacation during the first year of employment. The first six months of employment is considered a probationary period.
Do you work for Project Avary? Become an administrator