Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
- Washington DC
1750 Pennsylvania Ave
Portfolio Management Intern
About the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves is a public-private partnership hosted by the United Nations Foundation, aiming to improve livelihoods and health, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions.
The Alliance’s ten-year goal calls for 100 million households to adopt clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels by 2020. We work in collaboration with 1,700 public, private, and non-profit partners to help overcome the market barriers that hinder the production, distribution, and adoption of clean cookstoves and fuels in the developing world.
One of the key focus areas of the Alliance is to help clean cooking enterprises reach commercial viability and scale by supporting innovation, building capacity and financing growth. We have a strong culture of working through partnerships to ensure our social enterprise partners get the support they require for growth. We use grants and soft/patient capital to prepare businesses in the sector for rapid growth and commercial investment.
About the role
Over the past 4 years, the Alliance has deployed over $7m to help support clean cooking enterprises through various programs – Spark Fund, Catalytic Small Grants, Pilot Innovation Fund and the Women’s Empowerment Fund. In 2017, the Alliance launched the Spark+ Investment Readiness Program to provide investment-readiness support to selected enterprises so that they are prepared to raise investment for scale, and to be able to generate positive impact through the accelerated adoption of clean cooking solutions.
The focus of your role is to analyze and develop a strategy for evaluating the performance of our portfolio. This may include the development of a portfolio management tool to track the progress of the Alliance’s grantees, and the creation of case studies of successful enterprises from the Alliance’s various grant programs. Your responsibilities will include:
- Understanding the Alliance’s grant programs for clean cooking enterprises globally.
- Developing key metrics for tracking enterprises supported under each of the grant programs, based on the program’s objective and focus.
- Working with the Alliance team to design and develop a portfolio tracking tool based on the key metrics identified.
- Creating a process to keep the portfolio tracking tool updated on a quarterly basis.
- Contacting and working with various grantees to populate the portfolio tracking tool.
- Based on the analysis of the portfolio tracking tool and qualitative assessment of the grantee enterprises supported by the Alliance, developing a case study template and creating 3-4 case studies for each of the grant programs.
Who we are looking for
- Strong financial and business analysis skills as demonstrated by prior experience.
- An understanding of the off-grid energy or clean cooking sector is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present arguments and analysis in a clear and succinct manner within the Alliance team.
- Comfortable working in unstructured environments and flexible to adapt to changes.
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience in Finance (investment banking/venture capital/private equity), Management Consulting, or Impact Investment.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
This internship will ideally be filled by someone located in London or Bangalore (or alternatively Washington DC) where relevant Alliance staff are based. We may consider someone working virtually from another location.
The internship role is expected to last 3 months on a fulltime basis and a small stipend can be provided. We may also consider someone with the ability to commit at least 3 days per week.
If you think you are the right fit and are interested in the role, please send your CV and a brief cover letter to Peter George at email@example.com by October 31st, 2017.
Do you work for Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves? Become an administrator