Victim Services of York Region
Victim Services of York Region is a non-profit, charitable, community based organization working in partnership with York Regional Police and the Ontario Provincial Police (Aurora detachment) and York Region Fire Services to meet the short-term needs of persons victimized by crime or tragic circumstance by providing emotional support, practical assistance, and referrals to community resources for continued support. Service delivery is based on the principle of empowerment and prevention through education and advocacy.
What we do
Victim Services provides immediate emotional support, information and referrals along with other practical assistance to individuals victimized by crime or tragic circumstance. We are available to help in the following situations, among many others...
Domestic violence/Hate crimes Criminal harassment/Sudden death/Property crimes damage/Assault/Sexual assault/Fire Human trafficking/Homicide/Motor vehicle accidents/Robbery Industrial accident/ Break and enter
Examples that reflect the diversity of incidents Victim Services has responded to include the following:
- A family coping with the sudden death of their son in a motor vehicle accident
- A young woman dealing with the trauma of a sexual assault
- Parents trying to understand the death of their teenager by suicide
- A woman trying to cope with the trauma of a violent assault by her husband
- Workers trying to deal with a fatal industrial accident of one of their colleagues
- A gay male in an abusive relationship looking for shelter
Our Role in the community
- We help to reduce the impact of trauma which can be helpful at the point of crisis and in the long term
- We support and work with the multi-cultural community of York Region through our diverse staff and use of professional interpreters
- We work in the community to prevent violence against women and to promote healthy relationships
- We deliver our services based on the principles of empowerment
- We approach our prevention activities through the use of education and advocacy
- We believe every person experiences the impact of a crime or tragedy in a unique way. Equally, we believe that these experiences need to be shared in a safe, secure, supportive and non-judgemental environment.