AGAPE - Love From Above to Our Community
AGAPE is a non-denominational, faith-based mission to serve the people in our area. Our goal is to “fill in the gaps” which currently exist between people in need, and the community services available to assist them. We refuse to allow good people to fall through cracks in the systems that were designed to help them.
AGAPE partners with organizations and volunteers to make a sustainable impact and transform communities throughout Columbia and Montour counties by not only assisting with the immediate crisis but, also focusing on the long-term needs of families and connecting them to the resources and programs necessary for them to establish self-sufficiency and independence.Some of these programs include:
- Clothing and furniture donations
- "Building Bridges out of Poverty," a sixteen week course designed to help clients better understand their poverty situation and provide them with the tools and resources to become self‐sufficient.
- Weekend backpack food program for area schools
- Weekly hot meal that provides fellowship and reduces hunger
- Emotional and spiritual support groups
- Counseling with budgeting and financial savings
- Financial assistance
- Referrals to other community services
Employers, community organizations, social service agencies, and individuals all have a stake in creating a sustainable community. AGAPE works across all sectors of the community to address the root causes of poverty, supports individuals as they build resources and strives to achieve a sustainable community where everyone can live well. By providing a well-rounded approach, families are able to learn how to look beyond the immediate crisis and plan for future sustainability.