Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Central Arkansas
Our vision is that all children achieve success in life.
Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships that change their lives for the
“My Big is the only person that tells me I’m smart and that
I can do anything I set my mind to.”
Alex, Age 11
Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Central Arkansas serves nearly 400 children with more than 26,000 hours of one to one mentoring annually in Conway, Russellville, Batesville, and Newport.
We match adult mentors with children who can benefit from a lasting relationship with a caring role model. “Bigs” and “Littles” spend time together in the community or in a school, building friendships and gaining self-esteem and self-confidence. Volunteers and families receive support from professional staff to ensure a positive experience that changes the life of the child.
Our program makes a difference. In 2007, children matched with a Big made these gains:
- 75% were more self-confident and reported increased self-esteem
- 71% were more competent in their schoolwork
- 56% reported that their grades had improved
- 77% reported that their quest to learn new things had improved
- 90% reported getting along better with their families and peers