Vermont Grass Farmers Association
The VGFA is a farmer-driven organization that promotes, manages and oversees managed grazing outreach and education programs for Vermont producers. We are dedicated to furthering the use of managed livestock grazing to create healthier soils, cleaner water and financially and personally sustainable farms.
Organizational goals include:
• Enhancing soil and water
• Building farmer‐to‐farmer connections
• Upholding the viability and resilience of Vermont’s livestock farms.
Current programs include
• Vermont Grazing & Livestock Conference
• Jamie Cherington Memorial Mini Grant Program
• Workshops and Pasture Walks
• Jon Rutter Memorial Fund to support new farmers
• State Technical Committee representation
Organizational structure:Currently the VGFA shares a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the University of Vermont Extension Center for Sustainable Agriculture to provide staffing support through targeted federal pasture outreach dollars. Staffing covers conference organization, mailing list maintenance, events calendar, mini-grant program oversight, some on‐farm events and board general support. The Board of Directors meets 7-9 times a year to provide administrative oversight and overall strategic direction.