St. Benedict's Preparatory School
St. Benedict's Preparatory School was founded by the Benedictine Monks in 1868 and is one of the oldest and most successful urban schools for boys in the country. Over its history, the Catholic school has educated a rich variety of successive immigrant groups and the local community in and around Greater Newark. It now serves 550 students, primarily of African-American and Latino heritage, in grades seven through 12. Ninety-eight percent of its graduates go on to college. Starting in 2015, St. Benedict’s began overseeing St. Mary School, the oldest existing Catholic elementary school in New Jersey that serves nearly 200 boys and girls in grades K-8, pushing the total enrollment of St. Benedict’s from grades K-12 to 750 students. St. Benedict’s maintains its seventh and eighth grades for boys only, while St. Mary is co-educational for those grades.