Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
History of RIC
In 1954 the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) was founded by Dr. Paul B. Magnuson in a renovated warehouse on Ohio Street. Dr. Magnuson was a renowned orthopedic surgeon who became a devoted and passionate advocate for people with disabilities as the result of witnessing the personal tragedies of World War II while serving as the medical director for the Veterans Administration.
Carrying on Magnuson's legacy, Dr. Henry B. Betts came to RIC in 1963 and was directly responsible for advancing the medical mission of the Institute, construction of RIC's Flagship Hospital, direction of Institute research along with training education and advocacy for those with disabilities.
Since RIC's humble beginning it has grown to become the recognized leading provider of physical medicine and rehabilitation services. In fact, every year since 1991, U.S.News & World Reporthas ranked RIC as the "#1 Rehabilitation Hospital in America."//
RIC's success is the direct result of the generosity and passionate work of many exceptional people. Below is a historical overview of the leaders who played an instrumental role in helping RIC become recognized as the best in transforming medicine, transforming lives and Advancing Ability®.
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) is dedicated to providing the highest-quality patient care through integrated research, scientific discovery, and education for the purpose of maximizing the recovery of the individuals in our care. Our core values are hope, compassion, discovery, collaboration and commitment to excellence and are the foundation for how we advance the ability of the people we serve.
To Advance Human Ability. RIC will serve as the world’s leading scientific hospital for the innovation and application of new and more promising treatments that improve and eliminate the effects of injury, disease and debilitating health conditions.