ACCESS removes barriers to sexual and reproductive health care and builds the power of Californians to demand health, justice, and dignity.
At ACCESS REPRODUCTIVE JUSTICE, we are building towards a future where all people in California have the freedom and resources necessary to make empowered and dignified decisions about their sexual and reproductive health, including the decision to have an abortion, without shame or stigma and regardless of their race, religion, immigration or economic status. A future where Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) and queer communities trust themselves; are trusted; and have the social, political, and economic power to sustain their communities and to build the families they desire, chosen and biological. Join us in the fight for Reproductive Justice!
This set of values makes up ACCESS’ cultural container. These are the values we intentionally uphold internally and externally. While we do not prioritize any of these values over one another, we explicitly want to name that Anti-Racism is at the center of all actions the organization takes.
- ANTI-RACISM- We commit to a culture grounded in anti-racism and challenging anti-blackness. This will require us to be bold and brave, and we expect and welcome discomfort, understanding this to be a necessary part of the process which will lead to an expansion of thinking and organizational growth. This commitment must be followed up with actions to ensure we are aligning to our values through all levels.
- ACCOUNTABILITY- We believe in accountability where we take responsibility for our actions and that when harm occurs, it is addressed in a timely manner. We understand that accountability is a key component of growth and building trust.
- CLARITY & SPECIFICITY- We seek a culture of clarity where we all have a clear understanding of roles, responsibilities and other organizational processes. If we aren’t sure, we commit to asking for clarity. We also commit to being more specific, explicit and inclusive in our language and to avoid vagueness which can lead to misalignment. We commit to defining the key terms most important to us.
- COLLABORATION- We commit to a culture of collaboration that brings us together to contribute our expertise in service of our mission and vision. We believe that collaboration helps us find better solutions to problems and learn from each other.
- COMPASSION- We commit to compassion towards one another and to ourselves. When mistakes are made, because they will be, we will remain open-minded and be compassionate to ourselves and each other as a way towards growth.
- LEARNING- We commit to a culture of continuous learning. This includes creating an environment where it’s okay to make mistakes as long as we are learning from past patterns and actions so that we can be better for the future.
- RESPECT- We have a shared goal and while there may be a difference in how we get there,we are open to learning. This means respecting all voices, perspectives, lived experiences,work styles and communication styles.
- TRUST- We believe in trust that is not situational and/or conditional. Trust in each other's individual gifts and in other’s ability to own their work and responsibilities.