VOTE - Voice of the Experienced
- New Orleans
2022 Saint Bernard Avenue
VOTE is an organization dedicated to building the political power of people most impacted by the criminal justice system, especially formerly incarcerated persons (FIPs), their families and loved ones. VOTE is founded and led by directly impacted people, and serves as one of several hubs for local and national criminal justice reform.
We do this through:
- Civic engagement by people impacted by the criminal justice system;
- Educating and influencing the public regarding public safety and alternatives to incarceration;
- Litigation and legislation to restore voting rights to all people living in the community;
- Re-entry support and strategic input on programming;
- Repealing discriminatory policies that fracture communities and promote recidivism;
- Developing, and advocating for, sentencing and parole reforms;
- Fighting against inhumane conditions in jail and prison;
- Identifying and cultivating leadership within our community.
VOTE ensures the impacted community is at the center of transforming the criminal justice system.
Current campaigns are focused on voting rights, and "Ban the Box" in housing, education, and employment; parole reform; downsizing the Orleans Parish jail and ending horrific conditions of confinement; and developing the leadership of impacted people.
Do you work for VOTE - Voice of the Experienced? Become an administrator