Gestalt Center for Psychotherapy and Training
- New York
THE GESTALT CENTER FOR PSYCHOTHERAPY AND TRAINING was founded in 1967 by Dr. Marilyn B. Rosanes-Berrett to carry on and expand the teachings of her friend and mentor, Dr. Frederick (Fritz) Perls, the founder of Gestalt Therapy.
Ten years later the Center became the first NY State chartered non-profit institution to offer therapeutic services and training totally within a Gestalt framework, and with authority to grant Certificates of Completion to licensed professionals.
Over the years, the Gestalt theory and therapy taught at the Center has evolved into a widely effective and applicable model for use in agencies and private practice.
- To educate and train qualified students in the Gestalt theory and method of psychotherapy, based on the pioneering work of Frederick Perls, M.D. and Laura Perls, Ph.D. The contemporary gestalt therapy that we teach is also based on others who trained with them, expanded upon their teachings and revised their methods, including Marilyn Rosanes-Berrett, Ph.D., the founder of our institute.
- To educate and train qualified students in gestalt psychoanalysis in a program leading to a NY State license in psychoanalysis.
- To provide training that reflects our Gestalt philosophy and method in that it be holistic, humanistic, experiential and transformative, and that it encourage and support ethnic, racial and life-style diversity.
- To provide psychotherapy services to the New York City community through our Treatment Center, including low-cost therapy to those who could not otherwise afford treatment.
- To contribute to the ongoing development of Gestalt theory and practice by interacting with the global Gestalt community.
- To create an authentic, supportive, and socially aware community among faculty, students and alumni of our institute.