American Thyroid Association
The American Thyroid Association (ATA) continues to be the leading
worldwide organization dedicated to the advancement, understanding, prevention,
diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer. ATA is an
international individual membership organization with over 1,700 members from
43 countries around the world.
Celebrating its 93rd anniversary, ATA delivers its mission through several key endeavors: the publication of highly regarded monthly journals, THYROID, Clinical Thyroidology, VideoEndocrinology and Clinical Thyroidology for the Public; annual scientific meetings; annual clinical and research symposia; research grant programs for young investigators; support of online education, resources, information, and awareness initiatives for professionals, the public and patients through www.thyroid.org; and the development of evidence based guidelines for clinical management of thyroid disease.
The ATA is a unique society providing services to the public far beyond its membership numbers. Its clinician scientist members have a wealth of expertise and are mission-driven to improve diagnosis, treatment and cures for patients suffering with thyroid disease and thyroid cancer. The ATA represents the best vehicle worldwide for thyroidologists - to share information that improves detection and treatment of thyroid disease; to advance basic and clinical thyroid research; and to provide a collegial setting for professional development.Mission
The American Thyroid Association is the leading organization devoted to thyroid biology and to the prevention and treatment of thyroid disease through excellence in research, clinical care, education, and public health.American Thyroid Association Values
The ATA values:
- scientific inquiry
- clinical excellence
- public service
- patient advocacy
- worldwide collaboration and collegiality
- ethical conduct
The ATA is much more than just a professional medical society which conducts meetings and publishes journals. Combined revenues derived from our meeting and annual membership dues support many important activities in fulfilling our mission. These revenues provide membership and meeting access for our young members in post-doctoral and clinical training as they transition to full academic and private practice status. In order to appeal to basic scientists, the ATA has implemented significant discounts for PhD members. The ATA provides a home for both endocrine surgeons and otolaryngologists to come together to write important guidance for the field.American Thyroid Association (ATA) Programs and Services Provide:
communication network for national and international thyroidologists.
- An international organization disseminating leading-edge research findings about the full array of thyroid biology and disease.
- “Find-a-thyroid specialist” online physician referral tool connecting ATA clinical thyroidologists experts to patients in North America and around the world.
- Organization of scientific educational symposia, workshops, annual meetings, international congresses, all regarding thyroid research and clinical treatment to improve the lives of patients and the understanding of thyroid function.
- Extensive website resources for the public and health care professionals at www.thyroid.org.
- ATA sponsored Clinical Management Guidelines for thyroid diseases and thyroid cancer.
- The official Journal bundle of the ATA, THYROID, Clinical Thyroidology and VideoEndocrinology.
- A publication written for patients and other interested publics: Clinical Thyroidology for the Public.
- Public awareness for thyroid education and thyroid health.
- Professional comment on thyroid drug safety and efficacy.
- Sources of thyroid research grant funding by the ATA.
- Consistent new information organized for the scientist, the clinician, the academic, the patient, and the public.
- Trainees’ Corner to support, provide guidance, career resources, and encourage new endocrinology specialists.
- A society dedicated to thyroidology supporting educational and association benefits for trainees in endocrinology, and other specialties.
- “Friends of the ATA” – a resource for patients to receive monthly updates by email on the latest thyroid research and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Collaborative efforts with endocrine and surgical societies such as The Endocrine Society, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, the Pediatric Endocrine Society, the American Association of Otolaryngologists – Head and Neck Surgery, and many others.
- Collaborative efforts to hold the International Thyroid Congress with the four world thyroid societies – the Latin American Thyroid Society (LATS), the European Thyroid Association (ETA), the Asia & Oceania Thyroid Association (AOTA), and the ATA.
The philanthropic support of our members and friends, and the public and grateful patients permits the ATA to provide this variety and extent of valuable services.Website and Charity acknowledgements
The ATA was awarded the Health and Medical Research Charities “Best Charities in America” “seal of approval” in 2012. Charity Navigator has given the ATA a 4-star rating http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11813. In 2013, 2014 and 2015 the ATA earned the Interactive Media Award (IMA) for Outstanding Achievement Award in the category of Association.