The Virginia Bar Association
The Virginia Bar Association is the independent voice of the Virginia lawyer, advancing the highest ideals of the profession through advocacy and volunteer service. The VBA is a voluntary membership organization created and supported by Virginia attorneys.
- Advocacy: Improve the law by promoting legislative changes
- Professionalism: Expand attorney proficiency through continuing education
- Service: Make our communities better and stronger through member contributions and through increasing access to justice
- Collegiality: Provide opportunities for attorneys to engage with like-minded lawyers through our Sections and Divisions and events
Sections and Divisions
The VBA encourages members to get involved in our sections and divisions that inform their practice, help them better serve their clients and fulfill their personal and professional needs.
- 19 sections
- Joint ADR Committee of the VBA and VSB
- Young Lawyers Division
- Law Practice Management Division
Conferences and Meetings
VBA events bring together colleagues across Virginia for learning and socializing. Our members also build upon their professional networks through attendance at meetings and conferences, such as:
- All-member meetings (winter and summer)
- Section-specific educational conferences
- Legislative update seminars
- Ethics and professionalism workshops
- Socials and receptions
- View our calendar
The VBA initiates and supports various programs that advance the ideals of the profession through advocacy and volunteer service:
- Rule of Law Project
- Veterans Initiative/VBA Veterans Pro Bono Volunteers
- Legal Food Frenzy
- Debates of candidates for statewide office
In July 1888, more than 100 attorneys from across the state formed what has become The Virginia Bar Association. For 125 years, the VBA has worked to protect the public through law reform, to enhance access to justice and to elevate “the standard of honor, integrity and courtesy in the legal profession.”
Read more about the history of the VBA.
Who Can Join
All licensed Virginia lawyers and lawyers in good standing in the bar in other states and the District of Columbia are eligible for full membership. Membership is not automatic. Interested attorneys must apply to join.
- Regular membership dues range from $225-$300 per calendar year, depending on number of years in practice.
- Government attorneys, full-time law school faculty, legal aid lawyers and attorneys working for nonprofits qualify for reduced dues of $150.
- Members of the judiciary also can join for $150 a year.
- Fully retired and fully disabled attorneys are eligible for reduced dues of $150 a year.
- VBA Life Members receive free membership.
- Newly admitted to the bar? Apply for free VBA membership during the year you become licensed.
- Studying the law? Students enrolled in a fully accredited school of law can advance their careers by joining dues-free.
- Join the VBA today
Members become patrons of The VBA Foundation at giving levels beginning at $150 per calendar year. The VBA Foundation conducts and supports the charitable and educational purposes of the VBA.