Zanzibar Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ZSPCA) is the Non Governmental Organization (NGO) established to promote local communities development, improving animal’s welfare and protection of environments. It was established on 05/08/2007 and receives official registration from Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar under society Act N0: 6 of 1995 with Registration Number: 562 of 14th February, 2008.
The vision of ZSPCA is “to have Zanzibar local community with high sustainable development while animal cruelty and environmental degradation reduced for 45% by 2020”
The mission of ZSPCA is “to prevent cruelty to animals, protection of environment and improving life standard of local community by providing humane education, environmental education, providing free veterinary treatment, mobilizing peoples to engage in tree planting activities and promotion local community development through initiation of suitable alternative income generating activities to local communities to improve life standard of the peoples in Zanzibar”.
Objectives of ZSPCA:
Ø Preventing of Cruelty to animal and improving animal welfare in Zanzibar by:-
- Providing humane and animal welfare education to local communities,
- To act as centre for provision free veterinary treatment and free rabies vaccination to local communities,
- To participate in law enforcement for combating animals cruelty in Zanzibar,
- To join with other organisation in running different campaign which directly benefiting animals or improve animal welfare in Zanzibar,
- Producing, promoting and distribute literature and materials, teaching manuals, guide books and reading materials to assist in this work by reaching out to the wider local communities,
- Conducting research on topics concerning animals and animal welfare in general,
- Advocating in policy and regulation concerning animals in general,
- To do any other business / activities will help to improve animal welfare and those are not illegal and doesn’t contravene this deed and violate the laws of the Land.
Ø Promote local community development by:-
- Introducing new alternative sources of income generation activities,
- To deal with all issues concerning Human Right and Child Rights including prevention of violence against human right and child rights,
- Building capacity to local community in realizing the potential resources that exit in their local areas,
- Integrating local community in development activities in holistic ways,
- Promoting new advanced agricultural technology such as conservation cultivation, establishing cooperative groups that can improve the living standard of local communities,
- To deal with health issues by providing free clinic, raising awareness of local communities in different disease especially in their causes, method of transmission, prevention andd treatment for AIDS and all other disease face local communities,
- To empower women through education to make them free from humiliation, suppression and any types of violence,
- Advocating in policy and regulation concerning community development issues in general,
- To do any other business / activities which will help improve community development and those are not illegal and doesn’t contravene this deed and violate the laws of the Land.
Ø Protecting environment in Zanzibar by:-
- To provide environmental conservation education and rising environmental awareness,
- To participate in environmental conservation campaign conducted in Zanzibar and out side Zanzibar,
- To participate in cleaning activities in different areas in Zanzibar,
- To establish relation with different organisation with similar or same objectives in environmental conservation,
- f To establish environmental conservation youth clubs in schools,
- To introduce new alternative source of energy and promoting recycling of biomass waste to produce charcoal,
- To participate in tree planting activities especially in the rural areas where forestry are highly degraded,
- Advocating in policy and regulation concerning environmental issues in general,
- To do any other business / activities which will help to improve environmental conservation and those are not illegal and doesn’t contravene this deed and violate the laws of the Land.