Goonj, for the past 12 years has been involved in promoting "Clothing as a Basic Need" and the concept of "Dignified Giving". Under this we started the Vastra-Samman movement under which we have initiatives such as "Cloth for Work", "School to School" and "Not Just a Piece of Cloth" amongst others. While we started out with only 67 pieces of cloth, we now average 70 tons material a month.
Innovations and Awards…
- Pioneers in developing cloth based sanitary napkins.
- Utilizing scrap cloth to make mattresses and quilts to further reduce wastage.
- Using cassette tapes as a design material for handbags, key-rings etc.
- ‘Not Just a piece of Cloth’ awarded the Innovation for India award by Marico.
- Goonj Awarded the Jamnalal Bajaj CFBP Award for ‘Fair Practices’
- Goonj awarded the ‘India NGO of the year’ award by Resource Alliance.
- Awarded the Changemaker’s Innovation Award thrice for ‘Rahat’, ‘School to School’ and ‘Not Just a Piece of Cloth’.
- Goonj’s first initiative “Vastra-Samman” recognized as one of ‘The Good Practices’ in Dubai International Awards.
- Mr. Anshu Gupta has been awarded the by CNN IBN Real Heroes award and the Ashoka Fellowship.