One Million Degrees
One Million Degrees (OMD) is the only organization of its kind in Illinois, and one of the few in the entire country, dedicated to empowering low-income, highly motivated community college students to succeed in school, in work, and in life. OMD provides comprehensive student supports to community college students at the seven City Colleges of Chicago, Harper College, College of Lake County, Prairie State College and South Suburban College.
OMD’s suite of academic, professional, personal, and financial supports help its scholars excel in the classroom and beyond. These supports include:
· Long-term, personalized one-on-one or small-group coaching with volunteer professionals who receive ongoing support and training.
· Tutoring: Immediate, individualized, sustained interventions and support to succeed academically.
· Academic Advising: Proactive coaching and support to map out and plan for degree completion, transfers to universities, and career paths.
· Financial Assistance: “Last dollar” scholarships to supplement federal and state financial aid and stipends to defray educational costs.
· Personal Supports: Ongoing intensive support from a dedicated staff, and coaching from a team of Applied Behavior Analyst students.
· Life-Skills Training: A three-year curriculum of professionalism and communication skills, financial literacy training, and civic engagement and leadership development.
· Career Readiness: Career exploration activities in numerous high-growth fields through partnerships with corporations across the Chicagoland area.
With help from a dedicated community of professionals, educators, donors and volunteers, OMD Scholars are dreaming bigger and accomplishing goals that they had not thought possible. OMD Scholars graduate from community college at a rate of 70%, THREE TIMES the Illinois average! They are beginning meaningful careers, working in healthcare, IT and transportation, distribution, and logistics-filling job gaps in critical skill shortage fields throughout Illinois and earning salaries that can support themselves and their families. Furthermore, nearly 100% of OMD Scholars remain in Illinois upon graduation, contributing to the state's economy. OMD Scholars are becoming role models in their families and communities. They are energetic, successful, and civic-minded leaders and the power of their success will resonate for generations.