The Children’s Clinics is a unique medical facility with more than 25 medical and dental specialty clinics, primary care and therapy services all under one roof. By partnering with specialists at Tucson Medical Center, Banner University Medical Center and the community, the Children’s Clinics allows patients to receive much of their out-patient care in one convenient location. The Children’s Clinics serves patients from birth to adult with a variety of complex medical conditions such as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, muscular dystrophy, cardiac conditions, cleft lip and palate, sickle cell, and metabolic disorders. The Children’s Clinics is located on Tucson Medical Center campus in the Square & Compass building – although we work closely with TMC, we are not affiliated with the hospital.
We have weekly volunteer opportunities as well as special event volunteer opportunities. Most of our weekly volunteers are Patient & Family Volunteers, but we also have opportunities for Administrative and Pet Therapy volunteers. Certified therapy animals get a lot of love around the Clinics!
As a Children’s Clinics Weekly Volunteer, your role is to help create a home-like environment for patients and families while they wait for their appointments. Duties and responsibilities may include the following:
- entertaining a sibling while mom assists her child during an x-ray
- teaching a child to play video games on the Wii
- doing a craft with children in the waiting area
- playing bean bag or ring toss with families in the lobby
- delivering coloring sheets and crayons to a child in an exam room
- making coffee and passing out snacks or beverages
- disinfecting toys used by children during their doctor’s visit in the exam rooms
- preparing for and assisting with a holiday event
- something related to your particular skills or interests (e.g. doing magic tricks in the lobby, using your photography skills at an event, etc.)
Children’s Clinics Weekly Volunteers must commit to serve at least one shift weekly for 6 months or for a minimum of 50 hours. The Children’s Clinics is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 to 5:00 – there are no weekend or evening hours. Shifts are 2-4 hours in length and are assigned after all volunteer requirements have been completed.
Special Event Volunteers help put on our 4 yearly events for our patients and their families. These are great opportunities for groups as well as individuals. This year's events are 3/28 (Spring Festival), 7/11 (Back to School), 10/31 (Halloween), and 12/12 + 12/13 (Holiday Party). In addition to volunteering at the actual event, we will need volunteers to stuff backpacks for Back to School and to help with our Toy Drive for the Holiday Party. We can arrange those to fit your or your group's schedule.