Foundation for Science and Mathematics Education
- New Orleans
5765 Loyola Avenue
ABOUT SCI HIGH
- In a recent US News analysis, Sci High was rated among the five best schools in the state of Louisiana.
- In 2016 the Orleans Parish School Board awarded Sci High a new $35 million dollar building in the New Orleans Bio-Med District, which will accommodate a student population of 650. The student population will increase by 44% from its present cap.
- The guiding academic curriculum at Sci High is STEM education, accompanied by a high regard for the personal success of each student.
- Ten years ago the young high school received a D ranking statewide. In 2016 Sci High is rated as B+.
While these achievements are noteworthy, the staggering fact is that Sci High is an open-enrollment high school. Significant proportions of the student body are eligible for free or reduced meals, in addition to students in temporary living situations or homeless. The successes of the students, the steadily increased state ranking, and the award of the new physical plant have not come easily.
The structure of the school is divided among three distinct but related organizations:
- The school itself
- The governing board known as the Advocates
- The fundraising board, The Foundation for Science and Mathematics Education (FSME), which is independently incorporated
Do you work for Foundation for Science and Mathematics Education? Become an administrator